Thursday, November 25, 2010

Sarah's drug abuse problem

I was up at 4am to start the morning feed with Mike.  When l returned, l found this note from Sarah on my computer “Done Papi’s insulin and then stabbed myself in the finger with the needle afterwards.  If l am not awake by 9am, you know why”.  I was a little concerned that Sarah had accidentally given herself a dose of insulin and that her blood sugar may have fallen to a dangerous level.  I considered how l could ensure the good health of my valuable volunteer.  I thought that if she was sleeping with her mouth open l could drop a few sweets down her throat to bring her blood sugar up, but decided against it in case she bit me !!.  Fortunately Sarah survived her little incident and was ready for the days duties on time.

Flea and Sonko’s testicles have returned to their normal size – hope they are not too disappointed that they don’t look as well endowed any more.

Puma is a little better, but still not right.  We have had him under observation all day.  He still seems too lethargic. 

Today, Sarah went in with Totsy and Mr Black and hand fed them nuts, which they enjoyed.

Carte Blanche was filming for a few hours.  They interviewed Nina (who bought the Lemurs to us), and filmed Noah and Nina (Ruffed Lemurs), Mr Black and Totsy (Black and Brown Lemur) and some of the Marmosets.  They said that it would be screened some time in December.  Will let you all know.

Lady (Black eared Marmoset) vomited after pellets.  I went up to see her, she was gobbling down some food when l arrived, but the moment she saw me, she flew like a little furry missile against the wire, shouting at me.  She did not look sick to me, she probably vomited because she ate too much.

The Ruffed Lemurs were very playful (and noisy) this afternoon.  They both look very happy.  


3 comments:

  1. It's so fun to read about the daily life in the sanctuary! Has the Mona monkeys got there big enclosers yet? Hope the new marmoset will have a good influence on Flea and Sonko.

    And I wonder what is the behavior of the Lemurs? Do they act like monkeys? They sure look cool!

    Could you upload some video and pictures on this blog. I really want to see how it all looks like now that you've been working on the property for a while:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah sue you crack me up.... i'm loving the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey kristine! yes, the monas got their big outdoor area a couple months ago! with a nice big tree in the middle! :)

    ReplyDelete