Sunday, December 12, 2010

What a day

Off to a bad start yesterday morning, with no electrical supply for the monkey’s heating. 
The electrician arrived to try and sort out the problem, much to Honey’s (Squirrel monkey) relief as she was missing her heater, the electrician connected the monkeys heating temporarily saying that some of the cables would need to be dug up to find the real problem.

Then the rain came down, in buckets.  It was so heavy that Jax (volunteer) bought Fossy (Common Marmoset) to my flat instead to Nina’s room where he usually sleeps to prevent him from getting wet.  I was going out, so l left my flat unlocked and headed off.

I returned at 10pm to discover that l could not get into my flat.  I thought that someone must have locked my flat but could not find the key and the key to the main house was in my flat, so l had to phone the sanctuary phone and wake up volunteers.  We soon discovered that the door had somehow locked from the inside (its not a yale, so we don’t know how that could have happened).  In the pouring rain, and dark Mike and l battled the door before giving up and l went to sleep in the main house.  Just to add to the fun, Mike told me that the electricity power supply had gone off shortly after l left, and it still was not on.  Poor Honey was facing another night without her heating.

This morning, it was still raining, and we still had no electricity, and no access to my flat where Papi's medication and the babies bottles are kept.  Clever Sarah eventually forced my flat door open so fortunately Papi had his medication on time (which is important because its an insulin injection).  Thank goodness for the gas stove so that we could warm up the babies bottle feeds (Common Marmosets, Lilly, Flash and Zet). The rest of the morning feed was completed in the dark and rain which was not too much fun, but it had to be done.  It was cold, and some of the monkeys were shivering without their heating.  There was great rejoicing when the power came back on at about 10am and Honey and the other monkeys could thaw out under there heater lamps.  

No comments:

Post a Comment